harder than it seems, they whispered to each other as they climbed aboard the 5:01 and sped away into nowhere.
they sat down, staring at each other across the subway seats, wondering how their love turned so quickly to hate
and refusing to believe it, refusing to believe it too even as they stared the truth in the eyes dying a little inside with every glance
but still hope lives on
stubbornly
maybe even stupidly
against all evidence and all feelings to the contrary
so they hadn't told anyone at all about this, this struggle, except that
they'd told everyone, really, because the entire car was being invaded by their infectious scent
the smell of their paralyzation taking over each body, turning them to each other and wondering where to go next
i guess we'll go forward, he said to her, not wanting to give up, knowing that if he fell, there was no turning back
i guess i'll go with that, she thought to him, not wanting to believe it was really over, knowing that if he fell, she would never really believe it again, not ever not ever not ever
the cab slowed, the voice came on and the door dinged open, and the two stepped out
still holding hands
still looking into each others eyes
still here
1 comment:
I love this one! This is probably this is my all-time favorite piece.
I really like that they are both like, "I guess," but even though they aren't totally convinced, they keep going anyway.
I guess that's that matters ;)
Post a Comment